Being a flooring type, the carpets are subjected to heavy wear and tear. This is caused because of high foot traffic, heavy furniture, the mess caused by kids or pets, muddy shoe prints, or pointed stilettos. Whichever is the case, the result is the same: holes and tears in the carpet.
Most types of carpet repair include holes, tears, bubbling, stretching, wrinkling, etc. But in this article, we are mainly looking at how to treat holes or tears in the carpet. Carpet patch repair is the best solution to patch-up the holes in the carpet. Thus, avoiding the need to replace it completely.
How Carpet Patch Repair Works?
1. Tools That You Need
- Utility Knife
2. Materials You Need
- Piece of Donor Carpet
- Double-sided Carpet Tape
- A scrap of Carpet
Carpet Patch Repair Method
1. Study The Damaged Area: This method is suitable for smaller holes, stained, burnt, or tears in the carpet. If the damage is over 1 square foot size, then replacing the carpet is the best option.
2. Look For Donor Carpet: Most carpet owners save the leftover carpet after the installation process. This leftover carpet then comes in handy during the patching process. However, in case you have saved none, you can go to a local carpet shop and buy a piece of carpet which matches the one at home.
3. Trace The Damaged Area: With the help of a marker, trace out the damaged area. This helps prevent cut off of good, unspoiled carpet.
4. Cut The Damaged Part: Use the utility knife to cut out the damaged section along with the padding. Make sure not to cut off the tufts. Carefully lift off the damaged section. If there’s any fabric still connected to the carpet, cut off the fabric strings gently instead of pulling them.
5. Place The Donor Carpet: Place the piece of donor carpet over the cutoff area. Mark the exact shape of the cut-off area via a marker and cut the carpet piece. The cut-off piece should fit perfectly with the carpet.
6. Choose The Nap Direction: Carpet’s nap always faces a single direction. Touch the carpet to determine the correct direction of the nap. Find the nap direction of the donor piece and align it with the original carpet.
7. Stick The Donor Carpet: Use the double-sided carpet tape to stick the donor piece to the carpet.
8. Merge The Donor Carpet: Use a carpet roller or a comb across the carpet in all directions to merge the patch well with the carpet. Don’t leave out the edges. However, do not overwork the edges or else it will rip out the tufts.
Call Carpet Repair Services in Yucaipa!
If you don’t have the time to do carpet patch repair yourself, call Steam Clean Restoration. Our carpet repair technician patches up your carpet to make it look new. So next time you have a problem with your carpet, call at (909) 528-6666. You can also follow us on Twitter to know more about us.